Monday, April 20, 2009

Value Money..!!

This post comes after I came across a sad incident this morning that made me to think and rethink of the ways we "youth" go on to spend our money so extravagantly and lavishly just for the sake of fun,amusement and entertainment and do not bother to reckon what "useful" and how "meaningful" could those wad of cash have been, had we put them for a better purpose.
I know this post of mine would raise many eyebrows and certain arguments from certain people claiming that "It's their money...They've earned....They'll spend it the way they like and no doubt need no advice on how to put them to better use."
Guys here's what I witnessed today:
It was half past 11 o'clock in the morning when I was busy taking my brunch sitting on my dinning table in an AC room and thoroughly relishing on the food served by my mom when I heard someone saying something over my gate and went out to confront him. As i stepped out I saw a lil girl not more than 4 yrs old,barefooted,poorly dressed in a distorted pink frock with few coins in her hand winking at me due to oppressive heat outside and asking me to pay her few bucks. I couldn't take my eyes off this lil gal who at this age ,at this time of the day should be at some school but was begging me for money in such an oppressive heat and that too barefooted. I opened my gate and called her in and checked if she's got anyone else along with her. At fist she was hesitant to come in but got in after she saw my mom standing behind me. I thought Do I really look like a devil? Anyway jokes apart...As we sat with this gal ...my kind hearted mom asked why is she begging? What is she doing here all alone(even though mom said she was begging..but mums are like that)..and I waited for her to reply.
This is what she said and the way she said:
Meri maa ko bukhar aya hai...to aaj mere ko bhej diya pse lane k liye.
mere baap mr gya (when we questioned her about her father)
meri behan hai..wo dusre jagah mangri hai.
mjhe pse dedo.
Tears welled up in my eyes as i saw this lil gal with five 1 Rupee coin in her lil hand ,moving around places in scorching heat barefooted for her mom.
We gave her the food..which she refused at first but later had it,enough money for her not to beg for month, 4 tablets of paracetamol,a bottle of water and nothing for her foot as we had nothing of her size. She left unsmiling....without thanking us for neighbour's gate. While she left...she left us with a deep sense of sadness about poor people and poverty that prevails in our society still in larger quantity. I came back to food..which had gone from brunch to lunch by then and looked at myself and then the room and every comfort it had. I thought of the ways I spend my money ....on useless shopping,food,movies n all and went onto think what those amount could have meant for this lil gal and her family. I know many of you try to confute me and talk about luck,destiny,your money n loads of stuff. But don't you think you should do something for these genuinely poor kids when you've been bestowed with such gifts of life. Buy yourself one shirt less...do not eat out as frequently as we do...watch three movies a month than four and see what you save and then spend it on someone who really need those amount to have one day's meal.
I do not know if you'll follow what I say but I will for sure.
But guys....pls value money. Please.
Lets change ourselves to change the world that surrounds us.

1 comment:

EyesofaDreamer said...

Your post is a very deep thought which makes one look beyond the comforts that one possesses. Certainly it is hard to be oblivious of the misery of these unfortunate people but its heart breaking to see that no one cares to spare a dime or a thought. There are various schools of thought discouraging alms giving so that these people don't get dependent, but a graver question is whether they would survive to try to be independent. It is a very heartwarming post and I am really happy that you helped the girl. Lets not forget this incident and vow to be doing all that is in our capacity. Lets be the change we want to see. Mere wishing and random thoughts aren't enough, we need to drive action. It might be sounding far-fetched to many, but I have already etched out my contribution, its for others to decide theirs..Thanks raj, for posting this